Mr. P

Mr. P

Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Spending Freeze" and "Double Exports"

I would like to discuss two big issues from President Obama's State of the Union address. First his so called 3 year "Spending Freeze" and than him mentioning his desire to double exports in the next 5 years.

It makes no since to me that he would put a 3 year Spending Freeze to domestic spending and state it will not start for a whole year. Much of the speech he discussed the debt that we are in and how we need to watch ourselves to help take care of it. This whole year wait is simply giving him a year to do what he wants.

I don't know how this works but he quietly stated "This is how budgets work" I am not an economist but I don't think spending when you don't have money will really help and than not spending when the economy is supposed to get somewhat better.

Overall President Obama putting a freeze on spending is like having Homer Simpson say he will stop eating donuts. It simply will not happen.

Moving on to what I found to be one of the most interesting topics of the speech. Obama stated he wants to improve the economy by doubling American exports in the next 5 years. It sounds great but I will state why I don't think it is possible.

With America's influence in the world many other countries have found ways to grow their own produce and compete in the world market. There still are many minute nations that just don't have the resources but overall most countries are at least middle ground traders in the exporting market.

If we try to double our exports in the next 5 years I really don't know where they will go. WE MUST GET SOMETHING IN RETURN and that is where the question comes what will it be. We can basically be self sustaining and so I really don't know what we will get back. If anyone has an idea please let me know?

Oil for energy for instance has been a big import from the middle east but with Obama's mentioning of clean coal and nuclear energy plants in this same speech really shows that we are continually becoming self sustaining in ways that we have not before. Not saying we could not be "Cough Cough, Alaska Oil Cough"

All in all, I appreciate Obama's interest in these two discussions of helping out the economy and our world stance but I want answers. I want actions to be more logical than just words and so the next FEW years will help answer these questions.

Mr. P

1 comment:

  1. I didn't watch the state of the union address . I appreciate the update you gave us on a couple of topics he talked about. I don't know what I think about the issues yet but you gave me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete